It has been such a beautiful life, filled with majesty and adventure. I have traveled the world and have experienced so many wonderful things. Indian Ocean sunrises, lobster tails broiled and served on a platter only feet from the waves, myriad Caribbean sunsets, and skydives over three continents, night flight in clear air above the southern USA in a tiny airplane, with visibilities of over a hundred miles, the sky peppered with the Milky Way...It has been such a beautiful life...hunting Cape buffalo in the thick thorn of Kitiangare; brown skinned girls almost naked romping on a South Atlantic beach... And you pitiful worms seek to take this away from me? I am an amalgam of all my memories, a compendium of experiences of world travel and all its wonders. You can't imagine the beauty of all that I have seen...Almost twenty thousand hours aloft in various airplanes touching down on all seven continents and almost a hundred countries...Mont Blanc in a morning sunrise...a moonset above the Bering Sea with the Pacific blue beneath me, a sunset on the Huon Gulf, with me standing at the bar at the Lae Yacht Club, sipping Australian rum...An icy runway in Gander, Newfoundland in February; fresh pork roasted over an open fire in Lajes, Azores, served with white rice, black olives and a bottle of vinho tinto; Steaks cooked by the dinner table to perfection in Santiago, Chile in an Argentine steak house; fish speared that afternoon and broiled over a beach fire on Honeymoon Harbor in the Bahamas...lying under an airplane wing in the Colombian desert with Sirius rising in the eastern sky...Sailing a close reach on a forty footer on the deep blue Atlantic, waves breaking over the weather bow and flying fish skittering on the lee a thousand miles from land, and you fools think you can take that all away from me? I am more of a man than any of you will ever be. A thousand skydives, sometimes exiting the aircraft alone at sunset and going down with the sun under canopy, alone in the sky...You think you can take that away from me? You have no idea whom you are dealing with. The white ice and black rock of Antarctica, with icebergs as far as the eye can perceive... Cape Horn off my left wing, traversing the Drake Passage untouched by the sixty foot swells beneath me...all of it is totally beneath you, you pitiful scum...You cannot imagine the incredible beauty I have seen. You sneak around and steal my trinkets, but you can't steal me. Don't even bother to try.
I may be destroyed in the end, but I will never be defeated.
Never.
No comments:
Post a Comment