Monday, September 24, 2012

One thing I have previously forgotten to mention is the numerous weapons tampering incidents I have experienced over the last five or six years.

I keep a shotgun by my bed at night, because it is the most effective short range weapon one may legally possess.  I also lay my .45 on the night stand  for quick access, should the need require.  The pistol, of course, is a weapon of last resort, because, unlike the effects of handgun fire on a target shown commonly in the movies, it can be very ineffective in a confrontation.  Studies by the FBI have clearly confirmed this.

Florida is a Castle Doctrine state and I have the legal right to defend myself against any intruder or home invaders without being required to retreat.

I was well trained in safe weapons handling as a young boy, initially by my father and later by my rifle team coach and Junior ROTC instructors I studied under as a student of a military prep school. Then three years in the 82nd Airborne Division also required frequent weapons handling.  As you might imagine, Army rules for weapons handling are strictly enforced.  Very strictly.  I.e.,  I know how to safely handle and carry weapons.

So when I pick up any weapon, the very first thing I do is check to determine that the weapon is on "safe."  Obviously, one never touches the trigger of any weapon under any circumstances unless one intends to fire it.

So on at least five separate occasions, when I have examined the weapons after awakening, the safety selectors have been moved to the "fire" position, rendering the weapon less safe.  Accidentally touching the trigger could result in disastrous consequences, including death, serious injury to myself and others or substantial property damage or all of the above in any combination.

Is someone trying to kill me or injure me through actions that could be interpreted as an unsafe weapons handling accident caused by an AD, an "accidental discharge."?  It seems obvious to me that this is the case.

No comments: