Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday night.  Alone with Blues playing on the satellite radio.  Some good stuff coming in off the frequency.

You may ask yourselves, why would a guy who is totally isolated and alone listen to the Blues?  Well, my friends and enemies, because the Blues are truly inspirational.  They are the only authentic American music from which much of Rock and Pop music have been derived.

I grew up listening to a Nashville, Tennessee AM station, WLAC, that played blues much of the night during the late 50's and could be clearly heard at night all over the South.  I knew who BB King was when I was 14 years old, long before he made the mainstream.  And Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters.  So I cut my milk teeth on the Blues.

Eric Clapton almost single handily brought the Blues into the white audience's realm, but to give him the credit he roundly deserves, he has always credited the incredible black American musicians from the Mississippi Delta for his success and has featured many of them who are still with us in concerts and studio sessions.

Many others have copied the styles of the early geniuses, to their credit.

The Blues always remind you that someone is suffering more than you and are expressing it better than you can to make themselves feel better and remind and warn us of the consequences of self-pity.

American Blues.  Good stuff.

No comments: