Sunday, August 5, 2012

Why would anyone shoot up a Sikh temple?  Someone just did in Wisconsin.  Seven dead, including the shooter.  The cop that got him was hit multiple times.  Hope the guy makes it.  He may have saved lives.

There is so much hate in the world.  I've seen so much out there.  There is so much hate here.  The country is politically polarized.  Muslims are getting badmouthed by people who have never met a Muslim.  I have known several in Africa and was always treated exceedingly well.

When I first hunted Cape buffalo in Tanzania in 2006, we had a hunting party comprised of a driver, a government game scout, a tracker, an assistant tracker, and a Professional Hunter  All were Muslim but me and I had one of the greatest experiences of my life.  We parted good friends and earned each others' respect.  They didn't want me to leave.

And having worked in East Africa off and on for several years, I knew many more.

We have people in this country hating Muslims who have never met one.

I certainly don't have any answers.  All the hate in this country is depressing, to say the least.  I try not to let it affect me, but I care deeply about my country and it is being torn apart by both religious and secular divisions.  It's tragic.  I rarely turn on the TV news anymore, because it is just more of the same.  Just more bad news.

Being the recipient of organized hate, I know how it feels.

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Why can't we just get along?"

No comments: